VA Beach Blog

Coming straight to you from Virginia Beach, Virginia - Campus Crusade for Christ Summer Project 2006.

name: shane hutchinson
location: virginia beach, va

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Update Number Four

Hey again,

Hard to believe I’m writing the half-way-done-with-project update already… I feel like I’ve only been here a little while – but at the same time, I feel like the relationships I’ve made so far have been a lot longer than 5 weeks.

So here I am on the 4th of July – I got off of work at about 9:30, went home, took a nap, and now I’m sitting here at the coffee shop with my friend Nate with about 4 hours until my next activity. Feels good to finally have some time to slow down.

There are some pretty cool things that have been happening lately here in Virginia Beach. First, our outreach last Saturday was incredible. Pictures of it are at the bottom of this post. It was a cardboard and duct tape staged battle on the beach. I know that sounds a little weird, but it was really cool and very effective. All of the guys made armor and weapons out of cardboard and duct tape (they looked really good - see below). There was a red team (good) and a blue team (evil). I was on the blue team... we marched out to the beach and gathered a huge crowd of curious people (a few hundred) and battled eachother. The last guy standing after an awesome coreographed fight stood up and gave a presentation of the Gospel. It was amazing to see everybody watching us and listening intently to what Scott had to say. We got to talk to people afterward and see what their thoughts were on God and Jesus, and explain the significance of the battle - it was likened to a spiritual battle that everyone is going through. It was incredible to see God work in so many people's hearts all at once.

Also, this is a huge week for the project, because all of the staff are leaving this Friday... all of them - even the project director (the main man in charge, Scott Santee). All of the students are taking over their roles. I'm in charge of leading a Bible study once they leave, and I'm pretty excited to see how God will grow me and prepare me more for doing the same kind of stuff next year on the Mines campus. Everybody says that project really starts after the staff leave, so we'll see what happenes. It sounds pretty crazy to me, but I know it will be amazing.

I hope all of you are still doing well, and I can't tell you how much I'm learning here (or, at least without making this post a novel).

-shane

photos::


blue team at the paradise before we left


blue team leader, Ian


red team marching on the boardwalk


Ian levelling Tyson


the midst of battle


Scott giving his message

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home